Oracle web solutions

From: Glenn Stauffer <stauffer_at_voicenet.com>
Date: 1997/04/16

[Quoted] I have been given the task of assembling a prototype system whose goal is to provide web-based administrative solutions in an educational environment. Being my area of expertise, I am focused on Oracle as the database. Now I am trying to determine the configuration of the following elements:

    [Quoted]
  • Hardware platform and Operating System for the database and web server (ideally same machine for both). WindowsNT or Unix? [Quoted]
  • Web server software. Should tightly integrate with the database software and provide Java support. [Quoted]
  • Search engine. The initial application is providing access to the central administrative database. Query and update.

[Quoted] [Quoted] My initial though is to go with a total Oracle solution running on a WindowsNT server. What are the capabilities of such a system? Limitations? Are Unix solutions more robust? Are there better choices than Oracle offers for the web server and search engine software?

[Quoted] Thanks for any comments.

Glenn Stauffer
Swarthmore College Received on Wed Apr 16 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message