Re: Where clause order - importance of - rule based optimisation

From: Frank Abney <abneyf_at_osshe.edu>
Date: 1997/04/08

In my experience with rule base, the order in the from clause is important unless the parse can determine that one index is best. If both tables you are using have the leading column of an index used, it may not be able to determine which is the best index and will go back to the from clause. I feel it is always a good idea to order your from clause in the order in which you want the tables used and if the parse overrides it, your still OK.

Frank Abney                              Email: abneyf_at_osshe.edu
Oregon State System of Higher Education Phone: (541) 737-6269