Re: Developer 2000 - Strengths & Weaknesses

From: Jo Pitt <jmp_at_bom.gov.au>
Date: 1997/03/19

[Quoted] I would say stick with Designer and Developer 2000, for lots of reasons.

  1. On a large project such as yours it is wise to generate as much code as you can, and forget about 'artistry' and personal flair. This will kill you in the long term, believe me, and create a maintenance nightmare. At least your forms. etc. will have a standard look and feel, and that's more important to users than cuteness. Anyway, you can get a pretty good looking forms template going, through Designer 2000, and it's worth spending some time over this before you start.
	Obviously, for some tricky transactions, you will have to adjust the
	generated form and add extra triggers etc. Try to isolate these forms
	as much as possible.

2)	These tools really work and the documentation is good.
	Witness the lack of questions about them in the new groups.

3)	You need to keep a tight integration between the repository, the
physical database and the production modules, as one can with Designer/Developer 2000. This will help you later with impact
	analysis etc. It's easy to let things get out of hand post-
	implementation otherwise, especially with staff changes etc.

4)	Portability is important in a project your size.

5)	The potential to generating for the Web platform with Version 2
should
	not be underestimated.

6)	I don't work for Oracle - I am using it and have used heaps of
	other tools over the last 18 years in different environments, and
	one of the most important things is maintaining control over the
	software, especially in a large system.

	Getting a bunch of programmers to cut some Delphi code might seem
	a neat idea now, but you'll regret it later on.