Re: Experiences with the Context option

From: Stephen Cheung <stephenc_at_cs.utexas.edu>
Date: 1997/03/01

: We've installed it a month ago on a Digital Alpha 2100 with 512 Mb's of
: memory. We find that it is a little slow with response times of 30-60
: seconds for 200 hits. The 30-60 seconds are from the time I hit enter
: untill the first record is shown on the screen. I am using Sql*plus.

Our website runs the TextServer product (a step behind Context option). With about a quarter million records, we see about 10 second search times. The search criteria are probably the single biggest factor in affecting search speed.

Are you ANDing with non-textserver columns? Are you querying on multiple indicies?

If you want to gauge performance, our site's search engine is at: http://expert-market.com/search/
and you can search on multiple columns (all indexed by textserver).

                        stephen cheung

--
Stephen Cheung
512-916-8324 anytime.