Help! Report 2.0 output as an ascii or WORD file

From: Howard Tenenbaum <howardt_at_violin.com>
Date: 1997/02/26

I seek advise to have oracle report output be stored as an ascii file so I can import the text into an MS-Word document. The text output should have formatting close to the appearance of the output if it was routed from oracle runtime to the printer.

I think I have performed the approach described in the manuals which is;

  • The printer driver is "Generic/Text Only"
  • Character-mode setting check box is on for "Use Character Units in Designer"
  • DESTYPE is set to "File"
  • DESNAME is on my local C: drive.

The report layout contains variable length fields and repeating frames which may cause use of the output as text feature useless for me.

The output file generated on disk looks much different from the previewer or the
oracle printed output. Wrapping occurs in the wrong places, some characters are not displayed, others characters are replaced with asterisks ("***") etc. making it useless to import into WORD (or any other editor).

If you have tried to generate output from ORA Reports and import the output into any editor or WP please share what you learned with me. Received on Wed Feb 26 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message