Re: SQL*Backtrack:Anyone Using It?

From: Adrian P Challinor <Adrian.Challinor_at_osiris.co.uk>
Date: 1997/02/07

On Wed, 05 Feb 1997 08:44:17 -0600, Raymond Smith <a0195235_at_dskmail.itg.it.com> wrote:

>Is there anyone out there using SQL*Backtrack? If so, what do you like
>about it? What don't you like about it? What's the biggest database you
>are backing up? How long does it take for that database? Have you done a
>recovery with this product, if so, how easy was it?
>
>Any other information that you could provide would be beneficial. We are
>in the process of doing an evaluation and would like to know what people
>using the product think of it.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Raymond Smith
>Email address: smithray_at_ti.com

My clients (who will remain a nameless UK telco to protect the guilty) have purchased BACKTRACK, but for internal resource reasons (read - not enough DBA's!) have yet to fully implement it.

What do they like:

  1. Common interface for backup across all UNIX systems
  2. Incremental backup of very large database
  3. Interface to OpenVision*NetBackup - site designated backup tool

What Dont they like:

  1. User interface is lousy - pure rubbish - needs a PATROL style GUI.

Largest Database:

	Not supposed to answer this, but lets just say its in the
	100's of GB.

Backup Speed:
	Cut by an order of magnitude - from 8-10 hours down to
	2 on a week day. This was because we turned on
	incremental backup.

Done a restore
	Well, not on the live system, no-one willing restores a
	multi 100GB database for fun, but yes, have restored
	a 20 GB test DB. Works as documented.

Platform type techie stuff:
	Production and test DB on RS/6000, AIX 4.1.4
	Oracle 7.2.3
	Backup software - OpenVision Netbackup
	Backup Server - Sparc Server 1000e.
	Tape Units - StorageTek Tape Silo's using 8 x DLT 4000.
	Backups done in parallel to two dedicated DLT 4000's.

Recommendation:
	We liked SQL*BackTrak. Worked as expected.

Adrian P Challinor
Osiris Consultants Ltd
Adrian.Challinor_at_osiris.co.uk Received on Fri Feb 07 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message