Re: Newbie Forms ? - Browsing Records

From: Curtis Gourley <curtis.gourley_at_srs.gov>
Date: 1997/01/20

jhostetter_at_dande.com wrote:

> I am new to Oracle Forms. I have been going through some CBTs and demos. I
> am creating a simple form (v4.5) to update a table. This form can only show
> one record at a time, because the number and size of the fields fill up the
> screen. It would be nice if the users could select the record they want to
> modify from a list of records (such as a browse button). I would like to let
> the users hit a button which lets them browse through the records (in a
> separate window). They can then double-click on one of these records, and it
> will bring it back to the form for updating.
> I tried this with an LOV on the primary key. The problem is that I must
> first hit Query/Enter, then do a List, then do a Query/Execute. It seems like
> too many steps for the simple task of listing records.
> I believe this is standard functionality that people would like to put into
> forms. Am I way off base here? Could somebody point me in the right
> direction? I am not sure if I want an LOV or if I need to create a separate
> look-up form.
>
> Thank you.
>
> *************************
> Jay Hostetter
> D. and E. Communications
> Ephrata, Pa. U.S.A
> *************************

I am new also, I used this approach.
Create a button label SEARCH.
 In a WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED trigger
  DECLARE
   dummy BOOLEAN;
  BEGIN
   dummy := SHOW_LOV('lov_name');
   IF dummy THEN –user selected from LOV     …
   ELSE
    …
   END IF;
  END; If you want to seed the LOV include the :block.item in the select for the record group the LOV is based on.
Then map the return columns from the LOV to the corresponding form fields.

In the trigger I check a couple of form fields to see if the user is providing a starting point and select which LOV I use based which fields have information in them.

Hope that helps. (my first post)

Curtis Received on Mon Jan 20 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message