Newbie Forms ? - Browsing Records

From: <jhostetter_at_dande.com>
Date: 1997/01/08

  I am new to Oracle Forms. I have been going through some CBTs and demos. I [Quoted] am creating a simple form (v4.5) to update a table. This form can only show one record at a time, because the number and size of the fields fill up the screen. It would be nice if the users could select the record they want to modify from a list of records (such as a browse button). I would like to let the users hit a button which lets them browse through the records (in a separate window). They can then double-click on one of these records, and it will bring it back to the form for updating.   I tried this with an LOV on the primary key. The problem is that I must first hit Query/Enter, then do a List, then do a Query/Execute. It seems like too many steps for the simple task of listing records.   I believe this is standard functionality that people would like to put into forms. Am I way off base here? Could somebody point me in the right direction? I am not sure if I want an LOV or if I need to create a separate look-up form.

Thank you.

Jay Hostetter
D. and E. Communications
Ephrata, Pa. U.S.A