Re: Alerting clients when records have been updated

From: N Prabhakar <prabhs_at_po.pacific.net.sg>
Date: 1997/01/15

Barry Tallis <tallisb_at_videx.com> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Is there anyway to have the server alert a client when a change, has
>been made to a table without the client having to poll a pipe every
>second or so.
>
>- Barry Tallis
>- tallisb_at_videx.com

Hi,

You can use DBMS_ALERT to monitor the change in the table. If the alert fires, then send a message to DBMS_PIPE. If you are using VB as your front end, they you can use SOKIT.VBX (a third party VBX) which retrieves the info from socket and displays to the user.

I have seen a system which is using this procedure.

Regards

N.Prabhakar Received on Wed Jan 15 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message