Re: Reports good for reports?

From: RAM MAREDDY <rmareddy_at_calibersys.com>
Date: 1997/01/06

John:

Following is what I think:

> 1. How good is Reports at creating report output?

Very good. They can be run stand alone. They can be launched from Forms 4.5. You can add a parameter form to the report (even in the stand-alone option), where titles, notes, query text, etc. can be entered. You can specify destination type (preview, print, etc) also. Report window gives options to navigate (prev, next, etc.), gives zoom options, printing, and mailing. All the standard stuff. Printed report looks just fine. I couldn't make the mail thing work properly. (I think it needs Oracle Mail related drivers -- we use MS Exchange).

> 2. I've seen postings that it is a buggy product, quirky, etc. Is this
true?

I have developed a medium-complex report. Except for Mail related problems, I experienced no bugs. Once I had a wrong printer driver, which made my report look very funny. (It was fixed as soon as I installed the right driver).

> 3. How hard is Reports to learn? To master?

I think it's harder to learn (I am comparing it to learning Crystal Reports). Mainly because you can do so much (integrating Oracle Graphics, calling from other Developer/2000 products, etc.) You can also program, but you need to learn PL/SQL. This adds more to the learning time.

> 4. What other alternatives should I consider?

I came from the PC world. So, my other reporting tool is Crystal Reports.

> 5. How much hot air is the "develop once, deploy wherever" mantra?

Newest version of Oracle Reports generates reports for web.They look very good and there is no need to change any code. (Reports generated are in PDF format, which can be read by Adobe Reader). So, the same report, I deployed it on both PC and Web. I don't know about other environments.

Good Luck,

Ram Mareddy
rmareddy_at_calibersys.com
Caliber Technology, Akron, OH.

John L Dunn <misioror_at_gas.uug.arizona.edu> wrote in article <Pine.SOL.3.91.961231161039.23231A-100000_at_helium.gas.uug.arizona.edu>...