Re: Reports good for reports?

From: Mike Openshaw <openshaw_at_airmail.net>
Date: 1997/01/01

John L Dunn <misioror_at_gas.uug.arizona.edu> wrote:

>1. How good is Reports at creating report output?
>2. I've seen postings that it is a buggy product, quirky, etc. Is this true?
>3. How hard is Reports to learn? To master?
>4. What other alternatives should I consider?
>5. How much hot air is the "develop once, deploy wherever" mantra?

SQL*Reports Version 2.5 is a very robust report writer; however, it is somewhat difficult to learn and master, particularly the separate Graphics component. Also, it's performance leaves much to be desired.

Another tool worth looking at would be Crystal Reports; very fast.productive, and easy to use tool. Export capabilities and ease of deployment also favor Crystal. I can do in hours with Crystal what takes days in SQL*Reports. However, Crystal Reports isn't quite as robust; given my druthers, I'd use Crystal if I could, SQL Reports if I had to. Received on Wed Jan 01 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message