Re: Using ODBC and OO4O w. PO7/VB4 (experimenting)

From: Dave Sisk <davesisk_at_travelin.com>
Date: 1997/01/02

Josh_at_vn.com writes: > I have PO7w95 (trial version) as well as VB4 on my desktop PC, and
> just for experimentation I want to try some Vb forms which access
> Oracle thru ODBC and some thru the OO4O ocx. But first does anyone
> know if having both of these available present a problem to the other?
> Will one have to be removed/disabled? Does it matter which should be
> installed first?
>
> Thanks!

I don't think they will interfere with each other in any way. OO4O is just a set of object libraries, just like DAO. You use it just like DAO (except the properties and methods have different names, but they work much the same.) I have experimented with this also (although not as much as I would like). I am very impressed with OO4O. Since those objects talk directly to SQL*Net, they bypass the DAO-ODBC Administrator-ODBC driver-SQL*Net chain, so performance should (theoretically) be as good (or better) than coding the ODBC API calls and as simple as using DAO against MSAccess.

Good luck!

Let me know how you experimentation goes!

Regards,
Dave Sisk, DBA
Rhone-Poulenc
e-mail: usnet!urpartp2!dsisk_at_rpinc.attmail.com Received on Thu Jan 02 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message