Re: Oracle Date query

From: Blair Wheadon <wheadonb_at_cadvision.com>
Date: 1996/12/24

I believe the date parameter in the db init file only affects the default date format:

For example,

update foo set date_column = TO_DATE('01-JAN-96');

will work only if the NLS_DATE_FORMAT is set to DD-MON-YY.

The default can be overridden in any Oracle tool by explicitly specifying the date format.

For example:

select to_char(date_column, 'DD-MON-YYYY') from foo;

returns '01-JAN-1996' instead of the default specified by NLS_DATE_FORMAT.

Hope this helps,

Blair Wheadon