Re: Oracle Objects for OLE vs. RDO?

From: Gordon Cartwright <tabors_at_dircon.co.uk>
Date: 1996/12/20

[Quoted] "Delbert Aud" <winprog_at_webworldinc.com> writes:
> OO4O is wonderful, I don't have any real benchmarks but it greatly speeds
> up operations over odbc connections.

[Quoted] This statement conflicts with my very limited experience. We too are trying to [Quoted] decide on the method to access Oracle from VB4. I have found RDO and OO4O to [Quoted] provide similar access times to get the data from the server to the client (Win [Quoted] 95), but OO4O is v.slow at referencing individual columns once they are there.

[Quoted] As an example, 1000 rows can be retrieved and loaded into a list box via RDO is [Quoted] 2 secs. Via OO4O it takes 18 secs.

Re RDO, be v. wary of it's bound controls. For every RDC on a form you get a [Quoted] separate Oracle session. Yuk.

I haven't managed to try OO4O with bound controls yet, because that bit isn't [Quoted] shipping. Oracle told me it should be available early in the new year.

Hope this helps Received on Fri Dec 20 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message