Oracle Objects for OLE vs. RDO?

From: Jeffrey Sahol <jsahol_at_netmcr.com>
Date: 1996/12/13

[Quoted] [Quoted] I am considering two options for converting an existing Access database to [Quoted] Oracle 7.2 running on AIX. The front end is VB 4.0, 32 bit, but there is a [Quoted] VB4.0 16-bit out of process OLE server that controls an imaging application [Quoted] from the main program, and it needs either to have access to two tables in [Quoted] the database, or for us to write some methods that will stream the contents [Quoted] of those two tables to the OLE server: In addition, there is the imaging system itself, which accesses a different database via SQL*Net 2.2!

Our main choices:
- RDO/ODBC

  • Oracle Objects for OLE

[Quoted] Other choices, and reasons for rejection:
- DAO/Jet (Ack!)

  • ODBC API (too much coding)
  • OCI (Ditto above)

[Quoted] So far I have been unable to get OO4O to work, so I'm leery of it, but I am [Quoted] also afraid that ODBC will be too much of a hit on performance.

I would appreciate any experience you may have had with either approach. Received on Fri Dec 13 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message