Re: Front end recommendations Please!

From: Mark McNulty <mmcnul_at_wall.ny.jpmorgan.com>
Date: 1996/12/17

[Quoted] In article <32B70519.213C_at_mindspring.com>, Bill Kincaid <wkincaid_at_mindspring.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm about to start a new developement project with Oracle on Netware V4
>and would like for someone to suggest a good front end for this project.
>I've heard others suggest Powerbuilder, Delphi and C++ and Oracle's own.
>If it makes sense to stay with Oracle on the front I would certainly be
>willing. However, if anyone can suggest reasons for another tool, I
>would appreciate it.
>
>My project is fairly straight forward. There will be a total of about 45
>users. I will have only about 10 data entry operators and 35 telesurvey
>operators. During the course of the workday not much in the way of
>reporting is ocurring. Everything occurs on one file server in one
>building and growth is expected to be slow after system inception.
>
>Please advise as I am new to Oracle and am interested in a solid app.
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Bill Kincaid
>
>wkincaid_at_mindspring.com

Ok, I'll suggest, with some bias, JAM or Prolifics (JAM 3-tier). (www.prolifics.com).

Also look at Forte, Uniface, etc. or some web-only tools, like Netdynamics or Latte. If it doesn't do too much database work, you might even want to look at VB or Access. It really just depends on what your needs are (for instance, how many records are being entered, what kind of response time and security do you need, etc). If you are going to use Oracle's tools, you might find that Developer 2000 is a little more robust than Power Objects.

JAM would allow you to create an application that can be run on just about any platform, so your 10 data entry operators could enter data on Windows 3.1 or a Mac and your 35 telesurvey operators could run the same screens over the Web. There is a version of JAM for Netware as well. JAM has native database drivers for Oracle (Pro*C or OCI), as well as Sybase, Informix, etc.

Then, even if the system doesn't grow, but your boss decides he wants to move to Informix or Sybase or run off of the Mac or the Web or VMS, you can give him want he wants. If the Network Computer takes off in a couple of months, you can give him another version.

If the system does grow, you can scale up with Prolifics into a real three-tier system, where peices of your application can live on other machines, and can talk to each other with a scaled down version of Tuxedo that is built into Prolifics, or with Tuxedo itself. Received on Tue Dec 17 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message