Re: Power Objects CurRow pointer

From: Benjamin Lieberman <liebe003_at_mc.duke.edu>
Date: 1996/12/15

In article <ben.lieberman-ya023180001212961618370001_at_tali.uchsc.edu>, ben.lieberman_at_uchsc.edu (Ben Lieberman) wrote:

> I am trying to set up a database where I have a repeater display using a
> current row pointer tool and the name and strain# fields of my database. I
> would like this repeater display to update the full listing (in other
> fields on the form) to the selected row. However, clicking the row pointer
> has no effect on the rest of the form, and only turns the pointer blue?
> (not grey or black). What do I have to do to get this to work?

I got the following reply:

>Check these things: Use current row pointer directly on the repeater (by
>dropping it onto the repeater) Do _not_ use a class.
>Be sure your recordsource/session properties are correct on the repeater.
>On the form that contains your other fields, check that the recordsource
>says something like "=repeater1" if that's the name of the repeater object.

Bingo! The only thing I hate about programming is syntax. I tried your solution (figuring that the repeater had an independent RecordSet from my form and that was why there was no update), but everytime I tried to use just the name of the repeater - Error not a table or view! Put in the = and everything works fine. Thanks.

I wrote:
>> In a related topic I have been tring to get a list object to do the same
>> thing with the same result (clicking in the list highlights the selection
>> but will not change the current row). I have looked at the samples
>> included with my 1.0.16 version, but they don't give me the answer.

you answered:
>You need to give more details.. Sometimes the reason for this is because
>the datatype of the listbox differs from your definition in the Translation
>property. Again, check that standard behaviour is inherited..

[Quoted] I am using a list box with the following translation: =AT sessionname SELECT name, number FROM database ORDER BY name With the datatype set to long.

This gives a very nice list of names from my database, with the underlying value of number. No problem. Trouble comes when I try to use the PostChange() procedure to update the form in which the list is embeded. I tried to use the list value (which should be number linked to my name field) to move the form's recordset to the selected value. No dice. There is no other code except in the list's PostUpdate() and that simply gets the forms RecordSet, moves though the RecordSet from i = 1 to NumRecords and calling RecordSet.SetColVal(i), until the value of the list is equal to the value of the current Recordset.column("number"). This method was taken from the sample databases included in with the program (AddressBook). Unfortuantely I haven't been able to make it work. I can use the repeater method for now, but I would like the ability to modify the list object directly, to display for example "name, stuff, number" in a nicley formated way.

Thank you for your help, I am new to using Oracle, but not to database programming.

Ben Lieberman
University of Colorado, Health Sciences Center Received on Sun Dec 15 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message