Re: Oracle performance on Large loads.

From: Dale Ross <daleross_at_mail.spots.ab.ca>
Date: 1996/12/10

Mike,
The bottleneck here is probably PL/SQL. I have found it to be very slow. I would be tempted to use a C program to pre-process the data into files - one per table, then use SQL Loader to load it. SQL Loader can load 800,000 rows in about an hour if there are no duplicates in the data.

The hardware may be a problem, but assuming that the database is on more that one disk drive, it probably is not.

Dale Ross