DDE in Forms 16 & 32 bit forms 4.5 on NT

From: Vaughan Carruth <vaughan_at_cm.co.za>
Date: 1996/12/09

I create a form that uses a DDE to pass a http address to Netscape version 3. The procedure that does this is:

procedure pass_url is

service CHAR(20);
topic  	CHAR(20);
buffer  CHAR(20);

begin
  service := 'NETSCAPE';
  topic := 'WWW_OpenURL';

  item := 'http://www.netscape.com,,0xFFFFFFFF,0x4,,,';

  ConvID := DDE.INITIATE(service,topic);   DDE.REQUEST(ConvID,item, buffer, DDE.CF_TEXT, 100000); end;

This procedure works fine using 16 bit forms 4.5, but when I use the 32 bit version the procedure does not work. I used a program called ddespy which comes with Visual C++ 4.2. This program shows dde traffic. With 16 bit forms I was able to see that the calling data was fine i.e: the name of the service (NETSCAPE) could be seen. The 32 bit on the other hand passed distorted data to the DDE application.

[Quoted] I was wondering if anyone has got DDE to work with 32 bit forms on nt. If you have what am I doing wrong? I'm starting to think that there is a bug in the 32 bit forms.

Thanks
Vaughan

| Vaughan Carruthers. | E-mail: vaughan_at_cm.co.za |
| Computer Management (Pty) Ltd | Phone: (031) 325541 |
| 85 Smith Street | Fax: (031) 325552 |
| Durban | |
| 4001 | |
| South Africa | |