Re: Two Forms4.5 questions

From: <smagdaddy_at_aol.com>
Date: 1996/12/04

Sounds like you have the first one fixed.

   I ran into a very similair problem. But with too many blocks/lovs.

A few lessons learned,

    Every select, insert, update, delete statement that is issued by forms is a cursor.

   Oracle claims that forms will close the cursors. But I found this not to be the truth all the time.

   If you run your form, and query the V$open_cursors, and in the designer you can turn on stastics to message the max number of cursors open during that session, (They never match) Then you will get more info as to what is causing the problem, the LOV's or the Blocks.

   Enough of useless stuff, how i fixed it.   Change the max_open_cursors in the instance init file. I have seen them as high as 255. Mine is set a 100, Default is 50.   Try to combine lovs or use explicit cursors to populate RG's.

     populate 5 RG's from the same cursor with a union query.   Turning off Update, insert, delete helps if you can.

Hope this helps, Drove me nuts for 2 weeks trying to come up with the best solution. Max_open_cursors helped the most.

Rodger Hollingsworth

US Navy (DBA, Dev2K, SCO Unix)
You'll never get it unless you ask, Then again you may not even if you do ask. Received on Wed Dec 04 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message