Re: I need honest opinion about Oracle tools

From: Mike Openshaw <openshaw_at_airmail.net>
Date: 1996/12/02

"Igor Music" <igor_at_fnbtig.co.za> wrote:

>Guys I need your honest opinion about Designer/2000, Developer/2000,Power
>Objects etc.

In terms of CASE-based development, I would have to say that Designer/2000 is the most complete, mature product available and will generate a greater share of practical production code than any other product available. Should you use it to generate all of your code? I'd recommend against it. But, if you are willing to learn and use the Developer/2000 outputs it can produce, 80-90% generation is both achievable and desirable. The trick is to learn all you can about templates, preferences and library construction. When version 2.0 is released, you'll actually be able to bring manual code changes into the Repository.

There are a number of Generation zelots that will tell you '100% Gen or Die'. This is often accomplished with complicated templates that are NOT documented in the Repository themselve. They serve as manula code 'black boxes'. This lose sight of the real purpose of CASE development; that is, full, system-level documentation of the development process.

As for the Developer/2000 tools themselves: Forms is a good (though somewhat quirky) tool, but Reports 2.5 is overly complex and slooow. I can match developer days in Reports 2.5 with devolper hours in Crystal Reports. I would love Oracle to spend some time constructing Report generators for Designer/2000, other than SQL*Reports. Michael B. Openshaw

Data != Information
Information != Knowledge
Knowledge != Wisdom Received on Mon Dec 02 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message