Re: Why is it a mystery ???

From: Menoud, Pascal <pmenoud_at_powersoft.com>
Date: 1996/11/24

"stephanie yolayes" <moab_at_emirates.net.ae> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have posted the following questions to several newsgroups
>but never got a reply. My questions are:
>
> 1) Does Visual Basic have native drivers to Oracle
>
> 2) Does Powerbuilder have native drivers to Oracle
>
> 3) What does a Native Driver mean? Is it another
> DLL? another layer of networking software? or is
> it built into the tool?
>
> 4) If a Native Driver is available, is ODBC still required?
>
> 5) What are Oracle Objects for OLE? Do they replace
> ODBC when I am using Visual Basic or Powerbuilder?
>
> 6) Does Dev. 2000 only require SQL*NET?
>
>Thx.

I am not sure it is a mistery... Maybe using a "Native drivers" subject would have helped a little...

  1. no
  2. yes
  3. instead of going through the ODBC interface, the application has specific piece of software (DLLs probably) which call directly the native interface of the database, ie OCI for Oracle, Open Client for Sybase, etc.
  4. no
  5. I've never used Oracle Objects, I could browse the docs, but maybe you'll get an answer from someone knowledgeable.
  6. yes.

regards,

pascal menoud. Received on Sun Nov 24 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message