Re: What a joke...

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2019 15:32:09 -0700 (PDT)

On Sunday, 18 August 2019 23:40:08 UTC+10, Eric wrote:

> I very much doubt that you are the person who used to post here under
> that name. If you were you would know that this is not a "Google group"
> but a Usenet group, which can continue to exist no matter what Google
> does.

Actually, last time I looked I'm very much me. I know this used to be a Usenet group, until Google decided in their immense wisdom to buy Dejanews and other such. More or less the same time this newsgroup became irrelevant.

> You would also know that Google not only provides a (not the only)
> current interface, but is also the custodian of the archive of this and
> many many other Usenet groups going back many years, so that it is
> possible to find things from the past.

[Quoted] Yup. Very useful to know how to do something in release 6 of Oracle! Then again, given datatype LONG has been unsupported since release 8 and yet it's still all over the Oracle dictionary, one has to stop and think: exactly what is going on at Oracle... :)

> Who cares about old versions of Oracle, you may say, but there will
> certainly be some things still of interest, and when you consider all
> Usenet groups there is in fact an important historical archive.
> (Sometimes Google themselves seem to have forgotten this).

Bingo. Google basically killed the Usenet.

> So, whoever you are, what is your reason for these posts?

Being who I am, I'm fed-up with the constant advertising here and in other groups. This group is useless nowadays. And most if not all previous regular technical posters have moved on to other products or retired. Some still show up in the Oracle Technical group, created by one of the regular posters here to "teach a lesson" to all the regulars.

Ah well, who cares... Received on Mon Aug 19 2019 - 00:32:09 CEST

Original text of this message