Re: Docker containers

From: Andy <nospam_at_no.no>
Date: 31 Aug 2016 08:58:25 GMT

[Quoted] Mladen Gogala wrote:

> I have had a rather unpleasant debate on another forum about Docker. The
> whole thing started when a guy who was asking whether anyone has managed
> to put RAC in Docker containers went berserk after my counter question
> "what would be the point of that?".

Rather more polite than my initial thought of 'why the hell would you bother?'

> Docker containers are light-weight virtual machines which are allegedly
> much more efficient than the traditional VM's, created by VMWare or Hyper-
> V. I don't see Docker being present in any significant numbers in my
> client environments. Cloud service providers are still using VMWare,
> Hyper-V and they don't seem to being present in any significant numbers,

I've never seen or heard of them in use for anything, let alone [Quoted] production systems. Colour me skeptical abut their (Docker) claims of efficiency.

> I believe that any virtual machine, not only Docker, is a complete
> nonsense when it comes to RAC.

Agreed.

[...]

> So, is an Oracle database in a Docket container practical or just another
> marketing fad, like agile, DevOps and BAAS (Bug as a service)?

Practical? No.

[Quoted] One thing it almost certainly could be described as is 'unsupported'.

Cheers!
Andy. Received on Wed Aug 31 2016 - 10:58:25 CEST

Original text of this message