Docker containers

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2016 04:18:58 -0000 (UTC)

[Quoted] I have had a rather unpleasant debate on another forum about Docker. The whole thing started when a guy who was asking whether anyone has managed to put RAC in Docker containers went berserk after my counter question "what would be the point of that?".
[Quoted] [Quoted] Docker containers are light-weight virtual machines which are allegedly much more efficient than the traditional VM's, created by VMWare or HyperV.  I don't see Docker being present in any significant numbers in my client environments. Cloud service providers are still using VMWare, Hyper-V and they don't seem to being present in any significant numbers,

[Quoted] [Quoted] I believe that any virtual machine, not only Docker, is a complete [Quoted] nonsense when it comes to RAC. RAC needs very fast private interconnect, a lot of memory, some of it very fast or global locks will be very slow. In the context of Oracle RAC, virtual machines are only good for training, VMWare, Hyper V or KVM being much more . easier to manage. Do you use Docker for anything except playing with it? How much more efficient is Docker? Last but not least, what kind of apps are you putting into Docker containers?
[Quoted] [Quoted] So, is an Oracle database in a Docket container practical or just another marketing fad, like agile, DevOps and BAAS (Bug as a service)? Also, Docker seems a little bit rough around the edges. Bye.

--
Mladen Gogala
The Oracle Whisperer