Re: Redgate Video about incremental X-plaform backup

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 22:52:12 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 19:33:04 +1100, Noons wrote:

>> This type of behavior may not be the last thing reminiscent of DEC that
>> we will see.

> Bingo!

Oracle Corp. is just a corporation, just like DEC was. DEC was, for quite some time, the second largest IT company in the world, second only to IBM. There was a lot of ill will and anger generated by the changed licensing of VMS 5.0. There was also disappointment when DEC was getting more and more closed and was dispensing technical information only to the "ambassadors". Source code for VMS 4.7 was available, source code for VMS 5.x and later versions was not. The prices have skyrocketed. And yet, people continued buying the products. However, at some point, the outrage resulted in people turning to, at that time, very much inferior Unix. And once mighty DEC was literally swept away in a year.

Corporations have beginning and the end, like everything made by humans. My experience tells me that the end for IT corporations comes when "business" guys take the reign from technology types. Case in point: Mrs. Carly Fiorina, my pet peeve in the whole computing world. She has sown the seeds of HP demise. HP is now all but gone and yet that's the company that has literally invented RISC. Oracle Corp. has crossed that line too, a long time ago. I was able to get hold of beta versions, internal documentation and demos. Not so any more. Internal workings used to be available on the Metalink, for anyone interested. Again, not so any more. I was unpleasantly surprised when I couldn't have found an explanation of the "private redo strands" message anywhere on the MOS page. That is a major new development since redo allocation latch and redo copy latch. The only place that contains the information is Jonathan's "Core" book. And that is important, because it suddenly makes sense to increase redo buffer, based on redo statistics.
In the church of Oraclelogy, I am considered an apostate. On the other hand, I have a bad habit of using my brain, which makes me ineligible for any congregation, be it the church of L. Ron or L. Ellison. My db thetans will remain in place.

--
Mladen Gogala
The Oracle Whisperer