Re: MYSQL Error 2013 load infile 15mln rec 6gb CSV

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 20:47:11 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 19:16:00 +1100, Noons wrote:

> On 26/10/2014 7:16 AM, Mladen Gogala wrote:
>

>> Unfortunately for them, it's a piece of crap, so it can't compete, even
>> at no cost.

> Pity, really. Oracle needed some serious competition and unfortunately
> that has not happened.

Oracle does desperately need a good competition. There is a new hope, coming from IBM. DB2 is every bit as potent as Oracle and 3 times cheaper. What remains to be seen is whether IBM marketing will be successful. So far, they haven't shown too much promise.

> That's why we now have CDB/PDB, bind variable peeking,
> AWR/ASH/ADDM/bucketloads of mysterious and hazy performance
> indicators/methodologies, "cloud control" and a host of other crap that
> NO USER ever asked for but was dumped on us because marketing "knows
> better".

Well CDB/PDB and God knows which incarnation of "in-memory" stuff are a direct consequence of DB2 aggressive pricing. AWR is something that should have been given for free, since it is a direct development of Statspack. The only advantage of AWR over statspack is the ability to present results in HTML. I was writing an HTML version of Statspack report, that could be invoked from Apache, using PHP, but then I opted for a job of consultant and had no time for the project. I still may finish it, one nice day. Charging for performance tuning and diagnostic is just wrong, in my opinion.

> Even though NOT ONE person in Oracle marketing has EVER had to run a
> standard production site and cope with the joke that Oracle stability
> has been since release 10. But of course they "know better" because they
> all drink off the same through.

Well, IT is in essence a fashion industry, driven by marketing executives. Remember NoSQL fad? Everybody was trying Cassandra, MongoDB, Couch and the rest. A good example is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2F-DItXtZs

The real world discussions weren't too different. The next fad was "agile methodology". Everyone wanted to be "agile":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvks70PD0Rs

Now, we are in the meteorological phase, everything is "cloud". I once caused consternation by comparing cloud methodology to the "business" in the rest room: you go to the rest room, you produce dump and stage it in the local facility, them flush the local facility and transport it to the cloud. Point was that "cloud language" can be used to describe anything. The idea is that if the company uses COTS software and puts it "into the cloud", that will drastically reduce their need for expensive IT personnel, especially for Larry's favorite bunch of people: DBA personnel. Unfortunately, that will also erase all differences between companies and make them less competitive. If everybody uses Salesforce, why would I buy from company A or company B? It's all the same.

> The results will be visible soon worldwide. They are already over here.
> A pity really, because it could have remained a good and lasting product
> if only they had LISTENED to users. Instead of fake "communities" that
> only existed in fertile imaginations.

That's why hard core IT professionals are such an enemy of every large computer corporation. We keep things real. We are the ones who can tell that the emperor has no clothes and are, just like in the tale, being hated for that.

--
Mladen Gogala
The Oracle Whisperer