Re: is it possible to run oracle server as non-root, non-system process?

From: ted y <teddyyyy123_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 00:59:07 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Robert. your comments are very right. I'm glad you understood my approach.

yes, the start up time would be high. but with a bit of careful coding in my wrapper class for my custom base class that uses this oracle setup, I can let all the junit cases share the same oracle instance, and not starting a new one every time. that way the cost is tolerable, I'm not terribly concerned with the speed to run my junit.

compared to the headache to cope with the difference between oracle sql flavor / features and that of hsqldb/sqlite3, the time cost is much less of a concern. if I could setup oracle for my test, I don't need to worry about our QA "runway" oracle boxes going down or network cut off. hsqldb offers a "Oracle flavor/mode" but it's far from even a satisfactory emulation, it lacks many oracle functions.

granted , testing db-related java code is a pain, I tried to search around for an established, systematic, sound approach, but haven't seen any on the web or through my work.

thanks
yang