Re: Deprecated features in 12c

From: Peter Schneider <pschneider1968_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 18:27:18 +0200

Am 25.08.2014 17:56, schrieb Mladen Gogala:
> On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 15:19:54 +0200, Peter Schneider wrote:
>
>> Am 25.08.2014 00:07, schrieb Mladen Gogala:
>> [...]
>>> In Oracle 12c we still have the schizophrenic with two job mechanisms.
>>> Of course, the manual says that DBMS_JOB is deprecated, but Oracle
>>> itself still uses it, which means that it is sort of not deprecated
>>> after all. The same thing applies to the type "LONG":
>>
>> I think that these are not going away anytime soon - removing support
>> for them would break a gazillion applications out there.
>>
>> Regards Peter
>
> Well, DBMS_JOB can easily be emulated using DBMS_SCHEDULER, which is much
> more powerful, all encompassing batch framework. I really don't see what
> would be broken by merging DBMS_JOB and DBMS_SCHEDULER.

Yes, Oracle is free to change their internal implementations as they like.

However they should take care (and they do!) that published APIs and semantics/behaviour do not change all of a sudden, and not without years and years of prior announcements.

I.e. any change that requires me to change/recompile my applications is bad and causes work and effort, and costs my company money.

Regards
Peter

--
Climb the mountain not to plant your flag, but to embrace the challenge,
enjoy the air and behold the view. Climb it so you can see the world,