Re: Another newsgroup gone - may they rest in peace.

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 10:46:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Sunday, August 24, 2014 10:02:15 PM UTC-7, line..._at_tcd.ie wrote:
> Hi Mladen (does that mean "junior" or similar?)
>

> > > "It's dead, Jim!"
>

> I have to say that I am *_RELUCTANTLY_* forced to agree with Peter Schneider.
>

> I have seen and read your posts on this forum over the
>
> years and have respect for you and your technical abilities.
>

> Here in Dublin I was even able to take your book out of the
>
> local library when I was thinking of going with PHP (I've since
>
> moved on to different stuff).
>

> > No, it isn't. It just smells funny. Be aware, this is the only completely
>
> > uncensored forum in which you can speak out your mind completely freely.
>

> And why do you feel that stackexchange isn't a place where you can
>
> do this? Apart from not being able to eff and blind (you can say
>
> things like "your solution is sub-optimal" rather than "only a total
>
> cretin would do it that way"), but it's free and open from a technical
>
> point of view.
>

> Even the Oracle forums are fairly free - I've used the eff word on it, and
>
> criticised Oracle and not been censured.
>

> The problem now is that not only is the signal to noise very low, signal
>
> in absolute terms is now also low. On stackexchange and/or Oracle, there
>
> is virtually no noise but the quality of many of the replies is top-notch
>
> and into the bargain, signal in absolute terms is very high.
>

> You appear to feel that they are not "free". The problem with the "freedom"
>
> of this forum is that it has degenerated into the tragedy of the commons,
>
> i.e. by being abused it has become (nearly) useless. I only have a finite
>
> amount of time, and I get much more bang for my buck on stackexchange and/or
>
> Oracle forums.
>

> Any thoughts?
>

> Paul...
>

> > Mladen Gogala

I think stackexchange blows because you have prove yourself to be allowed to post. This excludes high quality people who don't want to go through the "are you good enough?" crap.

I've also reluctantly come to agree with Peter, at least for cdos, but I have a sliver of hope. It may be entirely unrealistic, but when ISP's started with some decent bayesian filters, maybe 10 years ago (?), things for email accounts became much, much better. My sliver of hope it that somehow it will magically happen on browser based newsreaders. Or maybe some young lizard with no morals will decide to DoS spammers.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
Or maybe a cat will walk across a keyboard and break the internet.