Re: Desperately looking for Oracle 7.2.3!!

From: Jack <none_at_invalid.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2014 08:22:49 +0200

"Mark D Powell" wrote in message

On Wednesday, March 9, 2011 8:24:12 AM UTC-5, dontinou wrote:
> Really hoping someone out there can help me out. I am in dire need of
> an Oracle 7.2.3 install CD, for ANY operating system that runs on x86
> hardware. Preferably one that can run in VMware.
>
> We have an old database that is currently running on 7.2.3 but on
> Sequent hardware and on the Dynix OS. The hardware is dying and can
> no longer be replaced. Since 7.2.x was the last version of Oracle to
> include Oracle Forms 3.0 (and we have thousands of forms in 3.0
> format), I have to find a way to port the code straight over to
> another working 7.2.3 system, hopefully one that runs a more
> supportable OS and hardware.
>
> Please contact me if you have the install CD's or know where I can get
> them. I've spoken with Oracle and the oldest release they still have
> on file is 7.3.x.
>
> Thank you.

>Being that we rely on Forms 6i I am not going to throw any stones about
>running old software but I know that character based Forms 6i >works with
>11.2.

>If Oracle can supply 3.7.x why not install 7.3 and upgrade the database?
>Database wise there isn't much different so I would expect your 7.2
> >database to upgrade OK. What Version of Forms came with 7.3 (4.0, 4.5)?
>There was a conversion utility so you should be able to take your >Forms
>and run them through the conversion since we did and I cannot remember any
>major issues. Though that was a long time ago.

>If you cannot find someone willing to provide you the software version you
>want I would think trying to upgrade to 7.3 and its version of >Forms would
>be the most likely choice.

>If these systems are important someone in management should be held
>accountable for not upgrading this long ago. But then again we >have no
>money to rewrite existing systems either. We can buy or develop new ones
>but money for re-writing working systems is a hard sell.

>IMHO -- Mark D Powell --

Well, I do remember that 7.2.3 version was special. There was some, some feature. Something about distributed/transactions, or something.
I remember because we did make uppgrade, but not put the newest version. Because of this issue.

Also running Forms 6i. Received on Fri Mar 07 2014 - 07:22:49 CET

Original text of this message