Re: Desperately looking for Oracle 7.2.3!!

From: Mark D Powell <markp28665_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 12:47:00 -0800 (PST)

On Wednesday, March 9, 2011 8:24:12 AM UTC-5, dontinou wrote:
> Really hoping someone out there can help me out. I am in dire need of
> an Oracle 7.2.3 install CD, for ANY operating system that runs on x86
> hardware. Preferably one that can run in VMware.
>
> We have an old database that is currently running on 7.2.3 but on
> Sequent hardware and on the Dynix OS. The hardware is dying and can
> no longer be replaced. Since 7.2.x was the last version of Oracle to
> include Oracle Forms 3.0 (and we have thousands of forms in 3.0
> format), I have to find a way to port the code straight over to
> another working 7.2.3 system, hopefully one that runs a more
> supportable OS and hardware.
>
> Please contact me if you have the install CD's or know where I can get
> them. I've spoken with Oracle and the oldest release they still have
> on file is 7.3.x.
>
> Thank you.

Being that we rely on Forms 6i I am not going to throw any stones about running old software but I know that character based Forms 6i works with 11.2.

If Oracle can supply 3.7.x why not install 7.3 and upgrade the database? Database wise there isn't much different so I would expect your 7.2 database to upgrade OK. What Version of Forms came with 7.3 (4.0, 4.5)? There was a conversion utility so you should be able to take your Forms and run them through the conversion since we did and I cannot remember any major issues. Though that was a long time ago.

If you cannot find someone willing to provide you the software version you want I would think trying to upgrade to 7.3 and its version of Forms would be the most likely choice.

If these systems are important someone in management should be held accountable for not upgrading this long ago. But then again we have no money to rewrite existing systems either. We can buy or develop new ones but money for re-writing working systems is a hard sell.

IMHO -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu Mar 06 2014 - 21:47:00 CET

Original text of this message