Re: dbms_scheduler.creaOhte_file_watcher

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 14:11:06 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 08:47:01 +0100, Jonathan Lewis wrote:

> I don't have an answer to the original question since I haven't looked
> closely at file watcher - but I'm always reluctant to add an external
> component to a task that looks as if it could (or should) be handled and
> synchronised internally. That's why I learned to rethink some cron jobs
> as dbms_job and then dbms_scheduler became available - fewer
> dependencies.

Jonathan, I agree with you for the most part. I also am using DBMS_SCHEDULER wherever it makes sense. However, in this particular case, I would write a Perl script which would wait for the files to appear and then insert them into Oracle. That seems like the simplest solution as it deals with the OS object: it monitors directory. Change of ownership and permissions cans easily be handled from a Perl script.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://mgogala.freehostia.com