Pluggable database in 12C

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 03:13:16 +0000 (UTC)

I haven't seen the demo, probably because I haven't attended the OOW, but the whole "pluggable database" thing looks like MySQL to me. When another database is needed, an appropriate "use <db>" command is issued and voila, we're in a different database plug-in.
Did the mighty Oracle finally cave in to accept the same one instance/ multiple database architecture as every other vendor. Here is another example of pluggable database:

db2 => connect to sample

   Database Connection Information

 Database server        = DB2/NT64 10.1.0
 SQL authorization ID   = MGOGALA
 Local database alias   = SAMPLE

db2 =>

I am now connected to one of 3 databases or "pluggable databases". Funny thing is that I can even use Oracle SQL*Developer to connect to DB2. I wonder when will Oracle give us local temporary tables? Is that a big innovation for the release 12.2?

--
Mladen Gogala
http://mgogala.freehostia.com