Re: Who uses active data guard?

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 06:08:49 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 20:31:38 -0700, zigzagdna wrote:

> I am curious lots of companies buy off the shelf packages, so where a
> technology like Data Guard really gets used.

The answer is simple: Data Guard is usually used in company data centre, to provide high availability and, in case of active data guard, load balancing and data protection (active Data Guard provides automatice protection from corrupt blocks).
And the vendor you selected must be extremely good when they're afraid that the standby database might stop working at any time. That reminds me of the stories about the early 20th century and fears that all those electric cables would do bad things to the lambs.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://mgogala.freehostia.com