Re: Simpana

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 12:19:42 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 3, 11:14 am, महेश కుమార్ G.M.K <maheshkuma..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 17, 2012 10:13:46 PM UTC+5:30, joel garry wrote:
> > On Jul 16, 5:35 pm, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> > I have several generations of tapes and associated hardware in my
>
> > basement, that I'll never even turn on.  How silly is that?   My last
>
> > home PDP backup was around the end of 1987.
>
> > jg

> the last backup in 1987? i was born at that time. great to see even backups were taken at that time where technology of computers was in the beginning phase.

rotflmao!

Actually, my first paid computer job as a junior programmer had me backing up the minicomputer in 1980. Two 20M drives a bit larger than a washing machine, with disk platters the size of a birthday cake in a cake dish. It was a bit of a workout carrying those back and forth between buildings. It was a big improvement when we got 300M drives and a new Kennedy 9-track tape drive!

This one is nicer than the one we had:
http://www.hschumacher.de/assets/images/db_images/db_decPDP11-343.jpg

jg

--