ORA-1652 Error during data migration

From: Mick <mjmstud_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 17:56:39 -0700 (PDT)

I have a team of external consultants who are migrating data accross to our database,
(Oracle Database 11g Release 11.2.0.2.0)

Occasionally their migration crashes with : ORA-1652: unable to extend temp segment by 8192 in

tablespace                 USERS

Now I understand that I can alleviate this problem by adding more datafiles to the tablespace as
I have done in the following example :

alter tablespace USERS add datafile '/export/u01/oradata/mydb/ users03.dbf' size 1000M autoextend on;

What I am asking is why do I get these errors when I am using the autoextend feature above?
If Oracle is extending the size of the datafile when required, why am I getting this error?

I am interested in any reasons for this. Disk capacity is not really a problem on our server but by the same token I would prefer not to
create an abitrarily large tablespace to avoid the ORA-1652 error.

Thank you in advance for any feedback on this. Received on Tue Jun 19 2012 - 19:56:39 CDT

Original text of this message