Re: ORA-1652 Error during data migration

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 12:05:46 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 17:56:39 -0700, Mick wrote:

> I have a team of external consultants who are migrating data accross to
> our database,
> (Oracle Database 11g Release 11.2.0.2.0)
>
> Occasionally their migration crashes with :
> ORA-1652: unable to extend temp segment by 8192 in tablespace
> USERS
>
> Now I understand that I can alleviate this problem by adding more
> datafiles to the tablespace as I have done in the following example :
>
> alter tablespace USERS add datafile '/export/u01/oradata/mydb/
> users03.dbf' size 1000M autoextend on;
>
> What I am asking is why do I get these errors when I am using the
> autoextend feature above?
> If Oracle is extending the size of the datafile when required, why am I
> getting this error?
>
> I am interested in any reasons for this.
> Disk capacity is not really a problem on our server but by the same
> token I would prefer not to create an abitrarily large tablespace to
> avoid the ORA-1652 error.
>
> Thank you in advance for any feedback on this.

Mick, several things:

  1. What is the max size your files can auto extend on to? Is it reached?
  2. Why do you have temporary segments in users tablespace?
  3. Did you find the culprit? You can look into V$ACTIVE_SESSION_HISTORY to find the session consuming the most temp space at the time.
  4. 1000M is less than 1G. It's not really big file.
--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com