Re: mysql cluster allows on- line upgrades, is there anything like that in Oracle?

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 21:26:09 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 03 Jun 2012 05:20:24 -0700, zigzagdna wrote:

> I am not sure in active standby (11G), one can do rolling uupgrade of
> database without nring Oracle downtime for few minutes/seconds. I could
> not find anything on google for active standby, but for physical
> standby, see link
> http://blog.csdn.net/sweethouse1128/article/details/6857571 but it
> requires some down time. Also I do not know whether SAP Oracle Database
> can be converted to logical standby.

Active standby IS a physical standby, not a logical standby. Oracle 11g can have physical standby open in read-only mode. Of course, that requires an additional EE license. Oracle EE licenses are dirt cheap, especially if you add diagnostics and performance tuning, RAC and advanced compression, so that shouldn't be a problem.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com