Re: OEL 6 (was: Re: Old linux lore no longer applies)

From: onedbguru <onedbguru_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 19:44:31 -0700 (PDT)

On Saturday, March 24, 2012 1:15:42 PM UTC-4, Mladen Gogala wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 14:46:07 +0100, Peter Schneider wrote:
>
> > This is really good news. So Oracle Linux enters the same arena as
> > CentOS and Scientific Linux, while at the same time, it is certified to
> > run Oracle RDBMS.
> > This is way cool...
>
> This only means that not too many people are buying it, despite the price
> 30% lower than RH6. This is an attempt to popularize the product. I
> believe that Oracle is now reaping the grapes of wrath they have been
> sowing for some time now. Beware of Oracle bearing gifts.
> When OL becomes popular, Oracle will again start charging for it.
>

> --
> http://mgogala.byethost5.com

They cannot charge for the Linux distro called OEL - because it is a GPL'ed branch from RH. That is why you can download it and run it - even in production - for free. What they can charge for is SUPPORT - which, I have seen is worlds better than RH ever did... According to some sources, The OEL project at Oracle is responsible for a large portion of the patches supplied to RH. Received on Sat Mar 24 2012 - 21:44:31 CDT

Original text of this message