Re: can't find j2se sdk in sre6 just installed from oracle

From: Ken Quirici <kquirici_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 18:10:58 -0700 (PDT)

On Saturday, March 17, 2012 7:49:49 PM UTC-5, Preston wrote:
> Ken Quirici wrote:
>

> > I downloaded the 32-bit java on Program files (x86) when sqldeveloper
> > asked me to give it the path to java. Error:
> >
> > Cannot find a J2SE SDK installed at path: C:\Program Files
> > (x86)\Java\jre6.
> >
> > If this is the best the database giant Oracle can manage it's all
> > excrutiatingly amateurish. IMNSHO.
>
> Are you sure you installed the SDK (or JDK) & not the JRE?

Well you might ask! I went back and found the v.7 SDK and installed THAT in Program Files (x86). Then I tried sqldeveloper.exe and it presented the window asking me for the location of the java.exe.

After the re-installation of the v.7 SDK I had two choices of locations for java.exe - the jdk and the jre. when I supplied the full path-name for the jdk's java.exe in the box provided (using the browse button to find it) and hit enter, it simply blanked the box and sat there. When I entered the full path-name for the jre, I got our favorite error message.

Is there a document that explains exactly what it wants? There are so many names floating around - for example the error message says j2se sdk. What the $I(*&_at_Y#E is 'j2se'? Does Oracle's left-hand know what its right-hand is doing?

I'm sure the explanation is really simple, like read the documentation fool. Well, maybe I'm not so sure there really IS any documentation explaining exactly what path to what sqldeveloper is looking for.

Not quite ready to give up tho.

Regards and thanks for your replies.

Ken Quirici