Re: configuring oracle database gateway drda

From: TheBoss <TheBoss_at_invalid.nl>
Date: 06 Nov 2011 23:15:09 GMT

TheBoss <TheBoss_at_invalid.nl> wrote in news:Xns9F95F14C7F5BATheBossUsenet_at_194.109.133.133:

> Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com> wrote in

>>> The grant is not performed on Oracle but on DB2.
>>
>> If so, why is the question on the Oracle group?
>>

> Well, I'm not the one posing the question, but I think because the
> gateway software is an Oracle product and the OP didn't realise that
> part of the products configuration (more specifically: binding and
> authorising packages and plans that the gateway uses to access DB2) is
> performed on DB2. In the mean time the OP has (may be because of my
> previous answer) posted the question in the DB2 group, with the
> additional info that (like I suspected) he is configuring for DB2 for
> LUW, which doesn't allow a generic grant on all packages for a certain
> schema (via <schema>.*), where DB2 for z/OS does allow such a generic
> grant. This also means the doco for the gateway is
> incorrect/incomplete. The OP needs to find out what packages are used
> in the oracletgw schema. As this info is not available in the doco,
> his best bet would be to query the DB2 catalog for this.

I did some more analysis of the gateway doc, and it's a little more complicated than I thought.
The part of the gateway configuration that the OP is referring to is documented here:
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_ 01/gateways.112/e12013/configdrda_server.htm#OTGIS1073

In DB2 it is possible to grant privileges on objects that are not existing (yet), and that's the case here: privileges are granted for the oraclegtw packages during configuration, while these packages are created/bound during the first gateway usage. So my previous advice to query the DB2 catalog won't help here.
Fortunately the docs also offers an alternative way in the next section 13.4 "Manually Binding of DRDAQ Gateway Packages". More specifically, paragraph 13.4.2 gives the exact procedure to follow for DB2 LUW. Cheers!

--
Jeroen