Re: Desperately looking for Oracle 7.2.3!!

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 13:32:48 -0800 (PST)

On Mar 9, 12:37 pm, Noons <wizofo..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 10, 3:34 am, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:
>

> > I will remember this the next time someone mentions not upgrading a
> > "stable" system.  You have my sympathies.
>
> There is a slight difference between not upgrading a "stable" system
> and grossly exceeding all the lifetimes and lifecycles of the hardware
> and software...

OK, how about this. SAN loses 6 disks, taking out entire local email system, and 1/3 of other systems (real and virtual servers and some virtual clients, and DNS) besides the production ERP server. IS manager calls for contracted 4 hour support, support tells IT manager they'll get back next Thursday because the SAN was EOL'd a year ago - just after 3 years of support was paid for.

I'd say there is no difference at all.

It is always fun continuing to do my work while the rest of the world is collapsing into chaos. Though I did have some extra work redirecting and recopying my off-server backups and some other stovepipe  stuff.

Turns out the SAN is some linux thing that thinks different logical volumes are "bad" on each reboot, so an all-nighter rotating through all volumes gets everything back except the least important 3rd. At least _I_ got a good nights sleep last night. Funny thing is, I remember having the same problem with some logical volume manager on a Sun 15 years ago, Veritas just got confused as to which volume is which - but at least that was just test v. production, frightening at first but no big deal.

Meanwhile, 37signals says IT departments aren't needed any more, you can get everything you need from a web site somewhere. http://37signals.com/svn/posts/2785-the-end-of-the-it-department

> Mind you: our last 7.3 db was on a server that had rust coming off the
> sides and needed a whack on the disk drives in order to boot after a
> power fail.
> You cannot imagine the fight I had to bring it to 10.2.  It took an
> almost unrecoverable db crash to convince the PTB that it might be a
> good idea...
> It's now in the first db that will be upgraded to 11gr2.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
"Self-directed 401K - is that a euphemism?" - heard on radio.