Re: upgrade and moving to another server in one stop

From: bdbafh <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 20:12:31 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 3, 5:48 pm, charles <dshprope..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear group,
>
> We are moving our Oracle database on redhat 4 10.2.0.4 to redhat 5 and
> upgrade it to 10.2.0.5
>
> so, on server A(redhat 4), i took a hot backup using RMAN, 10.2.0.4
>
> on server B, (redhat 5), i installed 10.2.0.5,  i can restore and
> recover the database without problem.  But i cannot start the
> database.  I tried
>
> alter database open resetlogs;
> alter database open upgrade resetlogs;
> alter database open upgrade;
>
> None of them seems working.  Could somebody help me out?
>
> Thanks very much for your help

separate your steps.
If you performed a cold backup using rman whereby the online redo logs would be moved over as well, no recovery would be required. Why not just perform a manual cold backup and move that backup set? Using a cold backup set (with a clean shutdown) no recovery is required and you can go straight into upgrading the catalog, e.g.

( from a 10.2.0.5 home on the new server)

cd $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin
sqlplus / as sysdba
startup upgrade
_at_catupgrd.sql;
shutdown immediate
startup
_at_utlrp.sql;
alter system set compatible='10.2.0.5.0' scope=spfile -- or make the change in the pfile and create a new spfile if you wish. shutdown immediate
startup

check your invalids and apply whatever patch set update you feel is appropriate (or not).

By using a backup method that requires recovery to be made consistent, you can't change the catalog in that same step. open database set restored - needs to be recovered on that version. After its brought to be consistent - and opened resetlogs, it can be cleanly shutdown and opened upgrade in order to upgrade the catalog to the new patchset.

but you could have found out all of this info from the upgrade guides.

-bdbafh Received on Fri Feb 04 2011 - 22:12:31 CST

Original text of this message