Re: Off Topic: open source databases

From: <galen_boyer_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 23:46:29 -0400

Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, 26 May 2010 10:14:40 -0700, Steve Howard wrote:
>

>> It's replacement in the world? I would guess MySQL, based on Oracle
>> Corp.'s ownership if nothing else.
>
> Hmmm, that doesn't compute, from my point of view. That is precisely why
> I opened this topic. Why would a huge corporation suddenly abandon its
> main cash cow in favor of a freebie? Slowly killing the freebie seems
> more likely to me, now that Oracle Corp. owns it. I am not sure as to why
> people are not trying to run away from MySQL, but they obviously are not.

I don't think Oracle owns it. Nobody can "own" open source. They bought off the main braintrust and set up agreements so those guys wouldn't start up again.

But, the way I understand it, anybody could continue development on MySql.

--
Galen Boyer

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news_at_netfront.net ---