Re: Counterpart to MS Enterprise Manager?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 16:14:23 +1000

Siegfried Heintze wrote,on my timestamp of 6/09/2009 3:44 PM:
> Microsoft supplies a general purpose client with their SQL Server product
> called Enterprise Manager.

Yes, they do. So does Oracle.

> Does Oracle supply a similar program with their freebie version of the
> database that will allow me enuermate the databases and their logins, views,
> stored procedures and tables?

Yes. Quite a few in fact.

> I see they supply a java program call Oracle SQL Developer but that requires
> a connection string that I don't know.

Even Microsoft's Enterprise Manager requires a connection string. You might not see it but it's there. Hidden behind all those dialogue boxes.

> I believe I used the database configuration assistant to create a new
> database with 4 usersnames (that I don't remember). I think I remember the
> password.

There are always two users created for you: SYS and SYSTEM. But I suggest you don't touch them until you know a bit more about Oracle.
Try SYSMAN. The default password is usually "oracle".

> I can use the Oracle Administration assistant for windows and I see my new
> database in there. I was hoping to use this tool to create a simple table
> and populate it with some sample data. I cannot see where in the GUI I
> create a table, however. Can this program create tables or do I need a
> different program?

There should be a "SQL" window in there somewhere. That's where you can type SQL to do whatever you want. Very similar to the "script" window in Microsoft's EM. If you want assistance in typing the SQL itself, then SQL Developer is the tool to use. Read on the help about the connection string, it's really not very hard. You'll need "netmgr" as well to create the connection string. Received on Sun Sep 06 2009 - 01:14:23 CDT

Original text of this message