Re: Counterpart to MS Enterprise Manager?

From: Siegfried Heintze <siegfried_at_heintze.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 00:06:35 -0700

> There should be a "SQL" window in there somewhere.
> That's where you can type SQL to do whatever you want.
> Very similar to the "script" window in Microsoft's EM.

Hmmm... I'm looking all over and I cannot find this script window. It would be logical to have one!

How about sqlplus? That should do the job? How do I specify my newly created database called SQLPOCKETGUIDE? Thru google searching I have learned how use the connect statement to switch users but I just cannot figure out how to switch databases. The MySQL command line client has a "use" command to specify the database and a "show database" command to show which database you are connected to.

Does SQLPlus have similar commands? I've been searching and cannot find them.

> If you want assistance in typing the SQL itself, then
> SQL Developer is the tool to use. Read on the help
> about the connection string, it's really not very hard.

Help where? Interenet google search? I clicked help on the Oracle Administration Assistant for Windows\Oracle Managed objects and searched for "connection strings" and it said "no topics found".

> You'll need "netmgr" as well to create the connection
> string.

Huh? What is netmgr?

Yeah but there are all flavers of connection strings! OLEDB, .NET and JDBC are just a few. For the SQL Developer do I use java connection string? Do I have to download the oracle JDBC drivers and set up the class path first? Which JDBC driver do I want? I think I want the KPRB driver but I'm not sure. There are several thin and thick JDBC drivers to pick from!

And what tool would I use to experiment with stored procedures?

Will SQLPlus execute PL/SQL statements?

I'm studying http://www.orafaq.com/wiki/JDBC and I'm surprised I cannot find the explanation on how to specify the database in the connection string. I want to connect to my newly created databases and execute the script at http://examples.oreilly.com/9780596526887/ so I can play with the SQL examples in the book SQL Pocket Guide
(http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596526887/)

Thanks,
Siegfried Received on Sun Sep 06 2009 - 02:06:35 CDT

Original text of this message