Re: OS version (8i) - standby - and os

From: Charles Hooper <hooperc2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 04:50:18 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 16, 5:05 am, Fabrice <t..._at_test.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your answer.
> I'm not sure to understand you. I know tha Oracle 8i is desupported.
> But I have to work with this version.
>
> So for you, there are no troubles to use oracle under Windows 2003 and to
> have production/standby under two differents releases ?
>
> I understand "it doesn't matter at all" by you can do it.
> I'm wrong ?
>
> Thanks and sorry to insist about it.
> fabrice.

I think that you will find that there are compatibility issues between Oracle 8i and any version of Windows 2003 Server. Have you tested exporting the database with exp? It is my understanding that the Java version which shipped with Oracle 8i is not compatible with Windows 2003 Server, and that incompatibility will prevent features such as exp from working correctly. I would be concerned about what else does not work as intended. See this page for a compatibility matrix: http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/windows/faq.html#versions

There are differences between Windows 2003 with SP2 and Windows 2003 R2 (first released in 2006). Windows 2003 R2 includes service pack 2, but also adds several features to the operating system. From Oracle's functionality standpoint, both operating system versions should behave the same.

Is it possible for you to upgrade to a more recent version of Oracle?

Charles Hooper
IT Manager/Oracle DBA
K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc. Received on Sun Aug 16 2009 - 06:50:18 CDT

Original text of this message