Re: OS version (8i) - standby - and os

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 13:41:12 +0200

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 11:05:06 +0200, Fabrice <test_at_test.com> wrote:

>Thanks for your answer.
>I'm not sure to understand you. I know tha Oracle 8i is desupported.
>But I have to work with this version.
>
>So for you, there are no troubles to use oracle under Windows 2003 and to
>have production/standby under two differents releases ?
>

>I understand "it doesn't matter at all" by you can do it.
>I'm wrong ?
>
>Thanks and sorry to insist about it.
>fabrice.

Let me put it this way:
If something goes wrong, Oracle won't help you out. You are running a desupported version of Oracle AND you are running it on a platform for which is was never certified.
As you seem to accept the fact Oracle is not going to help you out, it doesn't matter at all anymore.
Your configuration is not supported, and yet you continue using it. You are taking risks, and *you* will probably get fired when anything goes wrong, not the bunch of bean-counters called 'management' who decided to upgrade Windows and not to upgrade Oracle. This is why I state it doesn't matter anymore. Production and standby should not work under different releases. But you also shouldn't run uncertified combinations. This means it doesn't matter anymore.

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Sun Aug 16 2009 - 06:41:12 CDT

Original text of this message