Re: Rman level 0 incremental backup – why restore needs older backups?

From: zigzagdna <zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 15:31:44 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 26, 1:29 pm, John Hurley <johnbhur..._at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Jul 26, 10:37 am, zigzagdna <zigzag..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> snip
>
> > All the documenation I have read is:
>
> > A level 0 incremental backup is the base backup for subsequent
> > incremental backups.
>
> > It copies all blocks containing data, backing the datafile up into a
> > backup set just as a full backup would. The only difference between a
> > level 0 incremental backup and a full backup is that a full backup
> > is not included in an incremental strategy. That is after taking full
> > backup , you can’t perform incremental backup over.
>
> How about posting the output and the scripts that were run for the
> backups in question along with the script and output from the recovery
> that you say is going back too far in time?

I am doing straightforward rman commands which are shown towards the end:
I ran restore database preview to see what backup sets are needed for the restore. And preview output shows the latest incremental level 0 backup sets plus a few archive logs, so I suspect problem is not with RMAn but with VERITAS Netbackup (now Symantec Netbackup) . Netbackup cannot find the backup set in the latest tape, so it goes to a pervious day tape (again unsuccessful), a day pervious to previous day step and so on. I am doing a DR exercise and DR exercise only took one week’s tapes and my backup set was not found on any tape/ I have to follow with Netbackup support, why backups are bot being found on the tapes.
Thanks

  • backup commands*** Backup as compressed backup set Incremental level 0 Database; Backup Archivelog Delete input;
  • Restore command ***

Set until time..
Restore database;
Recover database;

Preview command is:
restore database preview Received on Sun Jul 26 2009 - 17:31:44 CDT

Original text of this message